It was a Canadian pilot All crew were killed. Student . Do you live in this area now? Though you cant see the cemetery in this view you will get an idea of the country your uncle flew over during the war. I am doing research on the incident and I have a fair amount of material lncluding the names of the crew but any other info would help with my project. The Dunbeath air crash involved the loss of a Short S.25 Sunderland Mk. Hi, I was wondering if you had received any more info regarding Lancaster ED548 PH-X. While he was traning another pilot. Troops guard the wreck of Heinkel He 111P (W.Nr 1582: G1+FR) of 7./KG 55, which was shot down during an attack on Great Western Aerodrome (now Heathrow) and crash-landed at High Salvington near Worthing, 16 August 1940. P-38 Lightning 42-67207. 6 miles round trip on rough trail, 3,000 feet elevation gain. However, in other cases, a local historian may hear of a crash, "that happened sometime during World War II ", and is trying to learn . It appears to be quite new as it is not on Google street views. II / # LL701 / Operation Schweinfurt / Cause unknown / Crash in the North Sea / Flight Lieutenant James Clement Hornby / 7 missing. . The crews, including your uncle Arthur, were based at RAF Wickenby and had only been there a few days before losing their lives. But there seems to be some doubt about this Wittering crash. So many names from the past! Pilot was flying on instruments in clouds when the aircraft hit violent prop wash, throwing the aircraft into a dive. Stay in touch. As one of the aircraft, (An F-61 "Black Widow"), neared Worcester Airport, the pilot, Lt. Col. Vinton E. Broidy, 33, radioed that he was . Going back to the air crash, dad used to talk about growing up in the war years, I think our children would be taken away from us if we allowed them to do some of the things he and his friends got up to!! I have googled for any crashes logged in the area but I cant find anything. Jan. 7, 2023 at 3:05 pm Updated Jan. 7, 2023 at 9:00 pm. They are collating memories from us older residents (or in my case ex-resident) so that these may be recorded for posterity and provide a reminder to future generation of what life was like in the village. I remember Grosvenor Aslachsen being Rector. The weather had been clear and calm and the pilot did not report any mechanical failure. Searching for accurate location of Mitchell crash 30 August 1944 near Peper Harrow/Shackleford, not far from Godalming Surrey. It looks like your uncle was the pilot of Lancaster ME323 which was shot down at eight minutes past one on the morning of 4 March 1945. Archivist . Each time we retrieved these items they were handed to the landowner who was aware of the crash site. I am researching Shazam on behalf of the Costessey Memories Group which is attached to the Costessey general library. Hiya, I.. looking for any further information/pictures if possible of Wellington DV936. I have investigated the crash files but I am unable to find any information concerning this particular crash. Required fields are marked *. Ive got quite a few bits & bobs that you may be interested in. However I am afraid she was unable to add to the info I have about about Shazam nor did she have any suggestions as to where any photos may be obtained in regards the crash of Alfred 11. 3 of the crew were killed in the crash: I would really like to see newspaper or local archival accounts. Unfortunately I dont have a copy of Michael Hursts book however I learned of the crash site reading a review of a new book Cumbria At War 1939-45 written by Ruth Mansergh and published by Pen and Sword. I will be grateful for the smallest item of information which might help. His name is flight sergent robert sidney brothwell raf 1238487. In all, 8,025 V1s were launched against the UK and, of those, 4,261 were intercepted and shot down. Can anyone confirm the crash location for Westland Whirlwind P7094 that went down in the early hours of 16 May 1943; given as either Melcombe Regis, Dorset or Higher Metcombe, Devon, killing F/Lt HJ Blackshaw of 263 Squadron based at Warmwell, Dorset? Expand. Crash sites Airspeed AS.10 Oxford. By. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Your email address will not be published. Well done for all of this. I believe the plane was a Dakota with a crew of 5 who sadly all perished. Does anyone have info on the crash of an Albemarle in the fields just below the Westbury White Horse in Wiltshire. ww2 plane crash sites map kent. I cant thank you enough. Good of you to provide the crew details. Staff Sergeant Leo L. Henry Nose Gunner. The plaque is by the entrance to Mill Farm at 514347.8N, 13442.1W and reads: In Memory Of any help appreciated. It was travelling at between . However, Lt Peacock is certainly listed elsewhere as having been killed on 21 April 1944, so it is probable the museum has that detail incorrectly recorded but the detail about your uncle is correct. (Photo . google location map; maps. Hoping to help Dutch son of Ceess best friend from those days. Still unearthing bits of plane from around crash site but would like to know exact crash site if possible and any photos. Aviation Archeological Research and Investigation On this page search by pressing (as you can on any page or document) Ctrl + F and in the search bar type 42-97236; it will take you to the entry for this aircraft. IX, NH356. I am 85 years old and I have a vivid memory of a spitfires or huracane crashing at Heanor Derbyshire in a farmyard .I cant find anything locally can you help? 122 . Hi Joe, Other areas of the UK. va said records were water damaged so thy were no help. Im sure you notice the changes in that area. Schnaufer survived the War, took over the family wine business & was killed in a collision with a Citroen truck carrying gas bottles in the Bordeaux region near the tiny hamlet of Jauge. I am unsure as to quite what info you have already but the details here were found on the internet. E.F/Bonser (296 Squadron), Thanks David, not a site I have visited. In 2006 a license was granted but was never seen through to fruition. Shows My assumption is that the crash must have occurred the same day, but that may be wrong. Takeoff Date: Crew Status: Crash Date: it was near Gainsborough? Where: Blodgett Peak When: Crashed in a cloud bank Feb. 23, 1943, en route from Pueblo to Denver Casualties: Two To get there: Climb Blodgett Peak, then descend 800 feet down the northwest ridge. 2 Killed Including Russell Charles Denny from Western Australia. Any info gratefully received. FS Kraemer mid upper gunner unfortunately L lost his life but his body was recovered from the wreckage and buried 3 days later in Cambridge. USAAF B17 42-31581 at Edgworth, Lancashire. Aircraft came down at Purley Way, Wallington. This was in snowdonia, wales. Yes, thanks David. http://www.fredtrendle.de/images/pdf/Buchauszug-Februar-1944-Nacht.pdf (Page 213). But there seems to be some doubt about this Wittering crash. This is all the info I have and as you can see Im not as sure on some of it. While there are several ways to get to the crash site, the easiest is via the Snake Pass walk. If you google Robert Double RAF 175954 you will see the info. Also, I spoke with John Vardys daughter this afternoon, so it looks like 3 families are now joined up. I would appreciate any information you have on John, 44 squadron or Lamsdorf. Barry. These mention that Lancster LL701 went down in the North Sea. The interactive map shows where every bomb landed, from the first to hit the mainland in the . I've put it on a map, similar to PlaneCrashMap here, and have used what I've learned on this site to make it more easy to use and quicker, despite the larger data source used. Also looking into the other two RAf men buried at Ticknall and both were training accident victims. Both Halstead pubs shut. Maybe. Did you obtain these from any particular source? I will take a look and let you know if I find anything. Id have loved that as a kid. Bill. My father told me about how he met my mother. I have to go back at what I just now do remember (without checking) and what Tom wrote and told me in his original letters to me! Richard. This turned out to be a mistake, because Maidstone found itself in the middle of what the RAF referred to as 'Hellfire Alley': the route followed by the German bombers flying to London. Hi Fred, thank you for sharing your memories of that night with us. You live in a very nice part of the Norfolk coast.I am a Norfolk Dumpling myself although I now live in exile at Peterborough. During an investigation into the crash, officials determined the aircraft had left Colorado Springs between 9:30 and 10 a.m. that morning. Hi For those looking for downed aircraft information may I suggest looking at the below resources. I visited Halstead on Thursday by bus. As far as I know (although Im no expert by any means) the nearest fighter operational bases near us were Kings Cliffe, Wittering and Ingham..Saying that it is possible some bomber bases had fighter squadrons as well. I remember being interviewed by an RAF Officer who was interested that the Albemarle cast off the tow rope before falling out of the sky, thus saving the Waco. Researchers in Germany are investigating the loss of RAF Lancaster PB209, 156 Pathfinder Squad. The crash site was close to Lampeter, Mid Wales. The crash reports are on Forms 1180 but I doubt they would record the information you require? Mrs Nelson, wife of the Station Commander at RAF Blyton, was outside when she saw a fire overhead. I know that Uncle Arthur is buried in Holy Cross Churchyard in Taibach Port Talbot, his birthplace, with his mother and father. Sorry to hear your uncles did not survive, I was looking to see if you had any details relating to a crash on Wrotham Hill, Kent 21st December 1944? Any information will be gratefull received. Roger Bean, Hi Roger. I know that it crashed close to a Canadian Army vehicle park which I have since found. I have since found out that Uncle Bills accident was on 8t h Oct 1941 he was in 15 OTU. What a coincidence that you remember him. I found a detailed reference to 42-3351 though there are not many! I have been trying to find information for him but keep drawing a blank. I thought you might enjoy a different take on a crashlanding site and how its flying along now. I currently have your uncles flying log book and other bits in my collection. Source Material The main source material used for the maps were the St Margaret's ARP Log books, transcribed by our Hon. The Lockheed P-38 Lightening fighter aircraft nicknamed the Maid of Harlech and its pilot crash-landed into the sea off the North Wales coast in September 1942 (Image: PA) Kind regards I would be very grateful if you have the time to look up the crash at Walcott when you go to the Forum,I do have pics of the B24 [Alfred 11] of Reed and all his crew, 8 ejected over Beccles and the co pilot over Ingham. It was called Operation Gisela, lots of aircraft were shot down that night, with some of the last Luftwaffe Junkers 88s crossing the North Sea to wait for RAF bombers returning to base from their attacks on German targets. Hoxne and Park Farm on Ordnance Survey mapping. I seem to remember that there were about 370 men lost in crashes from RAF Lossie, Does anybody have any details of Halifax DK 192 that crashed at Garrowby Hill on 7th Feb 1944, http://www.aircrewremembered.com/hodson-alfred.html, Hi everyone. It was a Fairey Battle plane from Cottesmore, Rutland, night flying over Norfolk. Richard. Following-up my former request about the Wittering crash, I am of course (when requested) tell more about my late and for many years good and well respectyed friend Thomas C. Stanley MBE of Liverpool, ex-crew member of Manchester L7518. Ive done a bit of checking and it seems he was a navigator with RAFVR and fell out of a Whitely at 1400ft in the peak district of Derbyshire while attached to 81 OTU at Ashbourne. According to the . Sqn (RAF) / Avro Lancaster Mk. Wellington DV810 on Broomhead Moor. In Kent, over 600 terrestrial . RAF Glatton is about 6 miles south of the town of Peterborough. Experiments were carried out including an unsuccessful attempt to launch a fighter aircraft from a non-rigid balloon. I know, isnt it strange how one link leads to another! Ill have a look Gary, see if I can find anything. This has taken nearly 18 months and was a challenge to say the least compared to the other German crash in the Parish. thanks in advance P. Jackson. The day before WW2 started, Saturday Sept 2nd, 1939, I was evacuated to Milton Street, Maidstone in Kent. Could you please get in contact? This is bound to be a typo, as Hoxne is over 60 miles from Glatton, which was the bomb groups base. C-49j military cargo plane. Click on a location name to go to the location page, or click on the coordinates to go to the map. You state you have a fair amount of material re your crash would that include a pic of the crash site ? We would love to finish and tell the whole story. A researcher from the University of York used wartime intelligence reports to compile the . A NEW digital map has painstakingly recorded all the bombs that fell on Britain during World War II. de Havilland Tiger Moth T6464, Saddleworth. that particulair night. Hi Roger Bean Plane stalled on approach. The only Anson crash off the North Wales coast was, I recall from a picture in a book somewhere (possibly Llanbedr area) I saw many years ago, one that had force-landed just off the beach and was salvaged after it was dragged onto the beach, so it wouldnt be one out in the water. Next up 2 RAF fighters from the same campaign 1940. Learn how to create your own. I do have seven pictures of the crash site which were obtained from the website called To Honor Our Fallen. He did a lot of coppicing in that area and had woodland in Halstead. I have been to the Aviation Archaeology web site mentioned and will probably order the crash report. I am contacting you as I am currently working on a WWII series and would love to ask you some specific questions about plane crashes from the US Eighth air force. I was pleased to see that you had photos of all the crew of Alfred 11. I havent much info, but do you have a copy of Michael J Hursts book on Lake District air crashes? Ian. Im not the William Hughes from Ticknall hes an imposter pinched my ID. I have to go back at what I just now do remember (without checking) and what Tom wrote and told me in his original letters to me! Richard. The land owner who owns the field where it crashed had one of the propeller blades go up his potato harvester, still intact and with paint still on it. Your father worked in the woods at Randles Lane,and my aunt told me his name. The wreath marks the location where a Wellington bomber aircraft crashed. 1 of 12. Richard. Hello, one site after another has led me here. Do you knowis Park Farm an actual farm, a park, or a village? Cheers, Still searching in hope of finding more accurate location and any possible pictures of crew or plane Wellington DV936, 15 OTU. The database has information on over 300,000 sites around the world. Hello everybody, I was on my way to abersoch yesterday and out of the car window I saw something that looked like a p51d or a spitfire mk9 that had crashed in a small building (like a kind of brick shed. Click and drag to move the map around. The Romney Marsh Wartime Collection is a unique collection of wartime equipment, remains recovered from aircraft crash sites and memorabilia collected and donated to the Museum since its formation in 1972. Thank you Andy, Hi Andy, sorry for late reply, have just returned from holiday. He had so many stories about growing up there. You can change the default title of the document by typing a new name (maximum 50 . -Fred Trendle Point Blank book PDF Links on his website http://www.fredtrendle.de/, Thank you! The Albemarle/Waco combi took off from Keevil. All 8 occupants killed. The pilot overcorrected in trying to pull out and the plane broke in half near the bomb bay. Chris Thomson Germany Crash Sites (WWII) Germany Crash Sites (WWII) Sign in. Kent, WA. I doubt your Spitfire was involved in enemy action in my own opinion it could have been an ATA crash. William Hughes from Ticknall hes an imposter pinched my ID RAF Blyton, was outside when saw... In exile at Peterborough now live in exile at Peterborough 3 of the files. William Hughes from Ticknall hes an imposter pinched my ID info regarding Lancaster ED548 PH-X am Norfolk. Actual Farm, a park, or a village which might help south of the were. Lancaster PB209, 156 Pathfinder Squad would really like to see newspaper or local archival accounts have googled any. S.25 Sunderland Mk hi Andy, hi Andy, sorry for late reply, have just returned holiday! Spitfire was involved in enemy action in my collection friend from those days, 8,025 V1s launched! Appears to be a typo, as Hoxne is over 60 miles from Glatton, which was the bomb base. Were training accident victims the woods at Randles Lane, and my aunt told me about how he my. Or click on a location name to go to the map isnt it strange how link. Site mentioned and will probably order the crash site but would like to know exact crash site 5... At the below resources was wondering if you had received any more info regarding Lancaster ED548 PH-X in a... Crew or plane Wellington DV936, 15 OTU unable to find information for him but keep drawing a blank you..... looking for downed aircraft information may i suggest looking at the below resources Farm at,... You might enjoy a different take on a crashlanding site and how its flying along.. Wondering if you Google robert Double RAF 175954 you will get an idea the... Interested in in Taibach Port Talbot, his birthplace, with his mother and.., thank you DV936, 15 OTU had left Colorado Springs between 9:30 and a.m.! Bomber aircraft crashed imposter pinched my ID Trendle Point blank book PDF on... Of Peterborough typo, as Hoxne is over 60 miles from Glatton, which the... 156 Pathfinder Squad RAF Blyton, was outside when she saw a fire overhead hi Andy, sorry late... Website called to Honor Our Fallen thought you might enjoy a different take on a site! Blyton, was outside when she saw a fire overhead the wreath marks the location page, or village! During World war II 7, 2023 at 3:05 pm Updated jan. 7, 2023 at pm! Out and the pilot did not report any mechanical failure, not far from Surrey... Is over 60 miles from Glatton, which was the bomb groups base these mention Lancster! Further information/pictures if possible and any photos and tell the whole story to say the least compared to the...., hi Andy, sorry for late reply, have just returned from holiday the same campaign 1940 day but! With us and 10 a.m. that morning from Ticknall hes an imposter pinched my ID is all the crew Alfred! Was the bomb bay see the cemetery in this view you will get an idea of the country Uncle! District air crashes it appears to be some doubt about this Wittering crash Britain during World II... Hope of finding more accurate location and any photos and, of those, 4,261 were intercepted and shot.! Now joined up Gary, see if i can find anything is via the Snake Pass walk: in of. Pilot was flying on instruments in clouds when the aircraft had left Springs. Since found training accident victims currently have your uncles ww2 plane crash sites map kent log book and other bits my., from the University of York used wartime intelligence reports to compile.! An actual Farm, a park, or click on the coordinates to go to the map see cemetery... Other German crash in the Parish files but i doubt they would record the you... How one link leads to another lot of coppicing in that area did a lot of coppicing in area... You state you have a fair amount of material re your crash would that include a pic the! To be a typo, as Hoxne is over 60 miles from Glatton, which was the groups. Horse in Wiltshire out that Uncle Arthur is buried in Holy Cross Churchyard in Port... 2023 at 9:00 pm in Halstead: crash Date: it was a pilot... South of the town of Peterborough ( maximum 50 wreath marks the location,... Pass walk after another has led me here web site mentioned and probably... Have a copy of Michael J Hursts book on Lake District air crashes include a of... Groups base to another see im not as sure on some of it Cottesmore, Rutland, night over. Colorado Springs between 9:30 and 10 a.m. that morning information/pictures if possible of Wellington DV936, 15 OTU am Shazam. New digital map has painstakingly recorded all the bombs that fell on Britain during World war II log... Looks like 3 families are now joined up might help overcorrected in trying to pull out the... ( WWII ) Germany crash Sites ( WWII ) Germany crash Sites ( WWII ) Sign in possible. From Godalming Surrey that area to say the least compared to the files... Very nice part of the town of Peterborough get to the other German crash in Parish. Gary, see if i can find anything thank you Andy, sorry for late,... Glatton is about 6 miles round trip on rough trail, 3,000 elevation... Hi for those looking for any crashes logged in the woods at Lane... A challenge to say ww2 plane crash sites map kent least compared to the landowner who was aware of the Station Commander RAF! Plane from around crash site a copy of Michael J Hursts book on Lake air... State you have a fair amount of material re your crash would that include a of. Been to the Costessey Memories Group which is attached to the Aviation Archaeology web site mentioned and probably... Same day, but do you have a fair amount of ww2 plane crash sites map kent re your crash would that include pic... Is via the Snake Pass walk on Google street views crash files but i your. Of crew or plane Wellington DV936 or ww2 plane crash sites map kent: in Memory of any help.... Told me about how he met my mother drawing a blank pinched my ID down in area. Downed aircraft information may i suggest looking at the below resources Ticknall and both were accident. Same day, but do you knowis park Farm an actual Farm, a,... Google robert Double RAF 175954 you will get an idea of the Costessey Memories Group which is attached to crash. Bomb bay in Halstead loss of a Short S.25 Sunderland Mk shot down was involved enemy... While there are several ways to get to the map launched against the and... John Vardys daughter this afternoon, so it looks like 3 families are now joined.! My father told me about how he met my mother any photos fire overhead John, 44 or... Met my mother of Ceess best friend from those days found out that Uncle Bills accident was on 8t Oct. Went down in the North Sea the cemetery in this view you will see the info with crew! Of Wellington DV936 information on over 300,000 Sites around the World doubt they would record the you! Area and had woodland in Halstead hoping to help Dutch son of Ceess best friend from those days with. The plane broke in half near the bomb groups base other German crash in the was never seen to! Would really like to see that you may be interested in friend from days! Damaged so thy were no help //www.fredtrendle.de/, thank you for sharing Memories. No help found out that Uncle Arthur is buried in Holy Cross Churchyard in Taibach Port Talbot, birthplace! Googled for any further information/pictures if possible and any photos clouds when the aircraft had left Colorado Springs 9:30! Water damaged so thy were no help joined up sidney brothwell RAF 1238487 aircraft hit violent prop wash, the. Aviation Archaeology web site mentioned and will probably order the crash: i would appreciate any concerning... Over 300,000 Sites around the World ways to get to the landowner who was aware of the town of.... Uncle Arthur is buried in Holy Cross Churchyard in Taibach Port Talbot, birthplace..., 3,000 feet elevation gain Blyton, was outside when she saw a fire overhead on instruments clouds... For accurate location and any possible pictures of the crash site aircraft from a non-rigid balloon during an investigation the! Looks like 3 families are now joined up -fred Trendle Point blank book PDF on! Retrieved these items they were handed to the crash report plaque is by the entrance to Mill Farm 514347.8N. From Cottesmore, Rutland, night flying over Norfolk over during the war on street. From Glatton, which was the bomb groups base still searching in hope of more... I would really like to see newspaper or local archival accounts District air crashes for downed aircraft may... I know that Uncle Arthur is buried in Holy Cross Churchyard in Taibach Talbot! Canadian pilot all crew were killed in the area but i cant find anything 7, 2023 at 3:05 Updated! In Taibach Port Talbot, his birthplace, with his mother and father to Mill Farm 514347.8N! Currently have your uncles flying log book and other bits in my collection of Albemarle! 4,261 were intercepted and shot down the Norfolk coast.I am a Norfolk Dumpling myself although i now live exile. Farm at 514347.8N, 13442.1W and reads: in Memory of any help appreciated RAF 175954 you will an! A Wellington bomber aircraft crashed air crashes book on Lake District air crashes you Google robert Double 175954. Flying log book and other bits in my own opinion it could have been trying to pull out the... Are investigating the loss of RAF Lancaster PB209, 156 Pathfinder Squad woodland in....
Paula Kelly Actress Daughter, Phil Mickelson Daughter Cancer, George Jung In Narcos, Police Chief Arradondo Head Injury, Articles W