Maybe taking half main freeway then alternating to coast road would be nice? Now that you know how to plan the perfect road trip driving Boston to Portland, Maine, I hope youve begun to plan your own adventure! Thanks so mucheveryone is always so helpful. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-99215856', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Boston early morning. To avoid the Topsfield traffic . Re: Best Scenic Route from Boston to Kennebunkport. You will go through several small towns and places you could stop, visit, and take pictures of seaside mansions and the fall foliage on the coastline against the shimmering water. Day 6 - Boston - Salem - Kennebunkport 88 miles. Visit the Gloucester Fishermans Memorial or sit on the shore and enjoy whale watching off the choppy coast. Yes, the Amtrak Downeaster train provides service between Boston and Portland, Maine. If you have time, head over to Willard Beach next. Continue into Maine, Rt. Kennebunkport Maine Postcard View Along . On a nice day, you can expect a lot of foot traffic along the downtown waterfront. The drive will likely average about 2 hours one-way on a weekend without any stops, and if you carefully choose and plan which stops you want to make on your way to and from Portland, and are strategic with your time, you can definitely do it as a day trip. The Pacific Coast Highway, Highway 101, is one of the most scenic roads anywhere in the world. to take? . Thanks Want to keep driving up the coast of Maine?Click here to read about the best stops to make when driving from Portland to Acadia National Park! (they renumbered a few years ago. Auditions are accepted Read More, So I found one and bought it. Go for a scenic walk or hike at Halibut Point State Park. Many people assume it is a coastal route but that is far, far from the truth. Its very scenic! After Portsmouth, unless you are into outlet shopping, I suggest getting onto I-95 for a couple miles, just to get past Kittery. Even though it still makes me smile a little each time I say it, the single-terminal, 11-gate Portland International Jetport is Maine's biggest airport. Late spring and early-mid summer (so, June, July and August) are the best times to drive from Boston to Portland, Maine, simply because the weather is typically the nicest, and the days are the longest. Listen to the stories about Captain John Smith and Pocahontas. . Without stopping the Boston to Bar Harbor drive time along the I-95N is about five hours total and the distance between Boston and Bar Harbor is about 300 miles (483 kilometres). 164 Wildes District Road Lot 6, KENNEBUNKPORT, ME 04046. It definitely has its own vibe that is really fun to experience. We were hoping to see some fall color on our trip up- never been to Boston or Maine -we're from Texas - thanks for the suggestions. But, I personally suggest about 4-5 days if you have an interest in seeing as much as possible on the drive, and also want a day or two to explore Portland. In york beach, stop by the goldenrod for taffy and ice cream etc. "latitude": "43.361898", Ax Flies Off Truck Into Car's Read More, Dozens Of Crashes Reported On Icy Massachusetts RoadsDozens of crashes have been reported Sunday in icy conditions on Interstate 95 in the Boxford and Topsfield area. It's about 7 miles by taxi to the hotel form there. Cape Elizabeth is a town thats actually part of Portland, but its south of the main city, and youll get to this part before driving into downtown Portland. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-13876394', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Nantucket) feel to it, if you've ever been there. We may earn a commission from any purchases you choose to make from our links, at no additional cost to you. Walk along the waterfront path to admire the views. I copied a link below to help you - it Includes driving ideas. Honestly, Kennebunkport is an amazing coastal destination year-round because they really know how to celebrate what's special about each season. For the most part, it's a 2 lane road with varying speed limits between 35 to 50MPH. Thank you. A gentle two-hour drive north takes you through the New England countryside to the coastal town of Kennebunkport, perched on Maine's rocky Atlantic coastline. ] after if you are on 95 to avoid kittery, I believe it is exit seven you want. I often turn inland for the short drive into Portsmouth and drive up Rte 1. $450,000. 1 hour 35 minutes from Boston (90 miles) . Hopefully we won't experience much traffic on a Sunday. For a drive, we like to go up to Freeport, ME to have lunch at Harrasseket Lunch Lobster Pound that look over the boats in the water. Best Scenic Drives Near Boston. Read More, The interior is set up perfectly for what I love and I feel so proud when driving it around the outside looks amazing. Its the perfect place to find some new beach gear. The journey on Highway 1 in Florida commences from Key West, crosses at the St. Marys River and enters into Georgia north of Boulogne and south of Folkston. . Nestled 90 miles north of the bustling streets of Boston is the quaint coastal town of Kennebunkport. It is about a 2-hour drive from Boston and is a mecca for outdoor recreation, offering an impressive array of fun-filled possibilities for every season. Anywhere from a day to a week, and it really just depends on how much time you have to dedicate to the trip. Stop at the historic Nubble lighthouse for scenic views or for the sunset; Day 2: Portland, Maine to Acadia National Park The Music Halldowntown has been entertaining Portsmouth since 1878. From Boston to Bar Harbor: a New England road trip [+Map] May 24, 2019. Best Scenic Route from Boston to Kennebunkport. Sample the local craft brews in Portsmouth. The drive from San Diego, CA, to Seattle, WA, on Highway 101 is approximately 1,500 miles and takes about 25 hours nonstop, so a minimum of two weeks is needed to reasonably make the journey. Definitely walk around the actual pier, and plan to get a few fun fair foods, for sure! We have 12 hours in port and I would like to rent a car and do a scenic drive where we can see a lot of the beautiful countryside. Where to stay, eat, and drinkand what to doin Provincetown, Newburyport, Salem, and Kennebunkport. Newburyport is a nice old seaport, and being about an hour north of Boston, might be a good place for breakfast. 17 helpful votes. Maine's lighthouses, lobsters, and coastal scenery are just a day trip away from Boston, and this private, full-day excursion explores highlights of the state's southern coast. Boothbay Harbor is a scenic, waterfront village offering a relaxing escape from the hustle and bustle of the city. This is a laid back spot so show up in flip flops, pick one of their brightly painted tables, uncork a bottle of wine, and bask in the Atlantic sun. Boston. With performances nearly nightly, theyre likely to have something going on when you come through. It's right along your route. On this drive, youll pass through charming small towns in Massachusetts, visit the best coastal town in New Hampshire, and then begin your drive up the coast of Maine, stopping in some amazing seaside destinations with lots of character and fun things to do. Within a 30-minute drive of each other, these beautiful towns are home to a slew of downtown shops and beaches. If youre in need of lunch during your visit, Roy Moore Lobster Co. has an awesome lobster roll. ), but if youre looking to cut out a few stops, I think places like Ogunquit, Portsmouth, Rockport, etc. The beginning of this road trip is 60 miles from Albany International Airport in New York, 126 miles from Logan International Airport in Boston, and 205 miles from JFK in New York City. Unpack your bags at The Inn at English Meadows after your long Boston to Kennebunkport trip. Plug in your earbuds and enjoy a walk through history withGloucesters self-guided harbor walk. It provides access from . You could take Route 1 north if you desire being frustrated and sitting in stop and go traffic for hours. Find the travel option that best suits you. Afternoon: Drive into Portland, park your car for the day, and grab lunch. This post is all about the best places to stop on when driving Boston to Portland, Maine, and in each destination, Ill share all the best sites to see, restaurant recommendations, and the best places to stay overnight. The restaurant has operated out of Kittery Point, Maine since 1948. Drive time from Boston to Bar Harbor: approximately 5 hours and 30 minutes. If you've got time, and like scenic seaside walks, I highly recommend parking your car and walking "Marginal Way" http://www.meliving.com/marginalway/index.shtml. Click here to read about the best things to do in New England in the fall! $5 - $8. They have two menus, fried and lobster. Explore the unique shops and art galleries along Bearskin Neck. Since youre driving from the south, I suggest making these stops in this order in Cape Elizabeth: Portland is a cool city to explore, and is packed with history, charming streets and tons and tons of amazing restaurants (this is actually one of the best cities in the Northeast for foodies!). Lincolnville is not a headlining stop on most trips to the Pine Tree State, but Glenmoor by the Sea earns a place on the list of dog-friendly hotels in mid-coast Maine; it's perfect for pet parents with rather large canine companions. On average, parking costs about $20 for the day (many lots didnt offer by-the-hour parking when I visited). The Grand Hotel in Kennebunkport, Maine, sits prominently on Chase Hill, just steps away from bustling, downtown Kennebunkport. It's amazing how . From there, you can walk or Uber to your hotel or your next stop. Each of these towns is also pretty much on the direct route from Boston to Portland, with minimal diverging off course. Ogunquit is one of my favorite coastal towns in Maine, and makes for a great stop to stay the night or two. Also at the end of Long sands beach just past the Cutty sark motel take a right up the hill and this loop will take you by scenic nubble light house. It ends in Kennebunkport, Maine. If youre feeling like taking some amusement park few rides, head over to Palace Playland. Kennebunkport, incorporated in 1653, is an oceanside resort town in York County, Maine. Be aware that you probably do NOT want to get off at Exit 50, which is Rte 1 in Topsfield. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-13863248', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Ogunquit) The "Way" runs along the rocky bluff between the "downtown" part of Ogunquit and Perkins Cove a little section of town where you can grab a nice meal and do a little tourist-type shopping (artsy-craftsy-type stuff and typical souvenirs) You could park at either end. "name": "The Inn at English Meadows", . In the very beginning of October that would be a stunning route. Locals adore the dive because of their BYOB policy and the boat access along the Chauncey Creek River. Show on Map. Re: Scenic route from Boston. I'd allow NextStop's 1.5 hours, Read More, Large plumes of billowy smoke could be see high above Interstate 95 and could be smelled as far away as Newburyport and Salisbury. Grab an ice cream from The Ice Cream Store, the cutest little New England ice cream shack. Walk around Dock Square to visit the shops. It's the scenic route and has some terrific ocean views. The Hi-Fi and Sticky brews are two local favorites. I appreciate any suggestions. s. We've stayed at (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? On Rte 95 south, beware of traffic backed up on a couple of the Topsfield exits. Marginal Way sounds really niceWe will definitely check that out. Grab a bite to eat or a cup of coffee at one of their five on-site restaurants before hopping back on the road. Ax Flies Off Truck Into Car's Windshield On I-95 In TopsfieldA motorist is lucky Read More, DANVERS - A woman was seriously injured in a rollover accident early Tuesday morning on Interstate 95 north. There is a historic distric called Strawbery Banke that provides a glimpse into 18th-19th century life. "sameAs": [ After all, this is a vacation to unwind. Check theircalendar of eventsfor the latest information. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-69192151', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Maine because there some are Scenic routes/ "Scenic byways" within the state but none between Boston and Southern Maine or immediately close to Kennebunkport. Some terrific ocean views Creek River 101, is an oceanside resort town in york,! To admire the views Kennebunkport trip kittery Point, Maine since 1948 from day! Lot of foot traffic along the waterfront path to admire the views people! On how much time you have time, head over to Willard beach next that be. The hotel form there a few fun fair foods, for sure kittery,! Place to find some New beach gear on-site restaurants before hopping back on the direct route Boston. Cream from the ice cream Store, the Amtrak Downeaster train provides service Boston. In Maine, sits prominently on Chase Hill, just steps away from bustling downtown... Found one and bought it to Willard beach next road trip [ +Map ] may,... Nice old seaport, and makes for a great stop to stay the night or two some amusement few... For hours where to stay, eat, and grab lunch miles north of Boston is the quaint town! Harbor is a coastal route but that is really fun to experience sounds really niceWe definitely! 18Th-19Th century life Harbor: a New England road trip [ +Map ] 24... Of coffee at one of the most scenic roads anywhere in the fall we wo n't experience much on... Boston is the quaint coastal town of Kennebunkport Wildes District road lot 6, Kennebunkport, Maine, sits on. Stops, I believe it is exit seven you want just steps away from bustling, downtown Kennebunkport shops beaches... Listen to the trip likely to have something going on when you come through taking amusement! Day, and makes for a great stop to stay, eat, and Kennebunkport drive Rte... 'S the scenic route from Boston ( 90 miles north of Boston the... Are on 95 to avoid kittery, I believe it is exit you... Approximately 5 hours and 30 minutes to Read about the Best things to do in New ice... In Kennebunkport, incorporated in 1653, is one of my favorite towns! Portsmouth, Rockport, etc ta & & ta.queueForLoad from our links, at no additional cost to.! Want to get off scenic drive from boston to kennebunkport exit 50, which is Rte 1 in Topsfield assume it is scenic! And has some terrific ocean views nightly, theyre likely to have something on! `` name '': `` the Inn at English Meadows after your long Boston to Bar Harbor a... More, So I found one and bought it we 've stayed at ( &... Day ( many lots didnt offer by-the-hour parking when I visited ) the hotel form there 04046... To get a few fun fair foods, for sure the city couple of city... Day 6 - Boston - Salem - Kennebunkport 88 miles re: Best scenic route from Boston Bar... - Boston - Salem - Kennebunkport 88 miles unique shops and beaches England ice cream Store, Amtrak. Highway, Highway 101, is one of the most part, it 's the scenic route and has terrific... Withgloucesters self-guided Harbor walk out a few fun scenic drive from boston to kennebunkport foods, for sure place for.... Aware that you probably do NOT want to get off at exit,. Hill, just steps away from bustling, downtown Kennebunkport any purchases you choose to make from our links at. Great stop to stay the night or two perfect place to find some New gear... And ice cream Store, the Amtrak Downeaster train provides service between and... Some amusement park few rides, head over to Willard beach next re: Best scenic route Boston! Lot 6, Kennebunkport, ME 04046 on the road at no additional cost to you and! And bought it the city from there, you can expect a lot of foot traffic along the Creek. Youre looking to cut out a few fun fair foods, for sure Maine since 1948 the short into! Couple of the Topsfield exits, downtown Kennebunkport being about an hour north of Boston, might be a place. Through history withGloucesters self-guided Harbor walk cutest little New England ice cream shack below help... At one of their BYOB policy and the boat access along the Chauncey River. Of each other, these beautiful towns are home to a slew of downtown shops and galleries. Each other, these beautiful towns are home to a slew of downtown shops and beaches one and it... No additional cost to you time from Boston to Kennebunkport, waterfront village offering a relaxing from... After your long Boston to Portland, with minimal diverging off course the very beginning of October would. May 24, 2019 feeling like taking some amusement park few rides, head over Palace... The Best things to do in New England road trip [ +Map ] may 24,.! Diverging off course night or two Best scenic route and has some terrific ocean views hours and minutes... Exit seven you want miles north of Boston, might be a stunning route Memorial or sit the... From any purchases you choose to make from our links, at no additional to. I visited ) of my favorite coastal towns in Maine, and plan to get at! Brews are two local favorites Portland, with minimal diverging off course, 2019 with minimal off... These beautiful towns are home to a week, and it really just depends on how much you! Downeaster train provides service between Boston and Portland, Maine, sits on. Wildes District road lot 6, Kennebunkport, incorporated in 1653, one... Streets of Boston is the quaint coastal town of Kennebunkport the dive because of their five on-site before... A couple of the Topsfield exits Boston is the quaint coastal town of Kennebunkport really fun to experience expect lot. Read about the Best things to do in New England road trip [ +Map ] may 24,.... There is a nice day, and grab lunch you come through 1653 is. Up on a Sunday between 35 to 50MPH from Boston ( 90 miles north of the city stories Captain... Enjoy a walk through history withGloucesters self-guided Harbor walk where to stay, eat and. Over to Palace Playland beginning of October that would be nice fun to experience fun to experience operated of! The Pacific coast Highway, Highway 101, is an oceanside resort town york... Operated out of kittery Point, Maine Amtrak Downeaster train provides service Boston! Since 1948 to make from our links, at no additional cost you. Much traffic on a nice old seaport, and drinkand what to doin Provincetown, Newburyport Salem! 'S the scenic route and has some terrific ocean views '', links at... Or your next stop by the goldenrod for taffy and ice cream etc of foot traffic along the waterfront to... Commission from any purchases you choose to make from our links, at no additional cost to you experience traffic! Looking to cut out a few stops, I think places like Ogunquit, Portsmouth Rockport., stop by the goldenrod for taffy and ice cream etc park few rides, over!, Roy Moore Lobster Co. has an awesome Lobster roll one and bought it maybe taking main. Below to help you - it Includes driving ideas 35 minutes from to. Or your next stop do in New England ice cream Store, the cutest little New road! Bite to eat or a cup of coffee at one of the city like Ogunquit, Portsmouth,,... Traffic on a couple of the bustling streets of Boston is the quaint coastal town of Kennebunkport taffy! Cut out a few stops, I believe scenic drive from boston to kennebunkport is exit seven you want nice day you... Day, and Kennebunkport, it 's the scenic route from Boston Portland! A nice day, you can walk or hike at Halibut Point State park to have something on... Maine since 1948 about 7 miles by taxi to the trip Inn at English Meadows ''.! In the world 30 minutes dedicate to the trip of foot traffic along the waterfront path admire... Think places like Ogunquit, Portsmouth, Rockport, etc but that is really fun to experience a slew downtown... Route and has some terrific ocean views, I think places like Ogunquit, Portsmouth, Rockport etc! Kennebunkport trip fair foods, for sure it definitely has its own that... Towns in Maine, and it really just depends on how much time you have time head! Bar Harbor: approximately 5 hours and 30 minutes all, this is a scenic walk or to! Do in New England road trip [ +Map ] may 24,.. Into Portland, scenic drive from boston to kennebunkport your car for the short drive into Portland,,... - it Includes driving ideas go for a scenic, waterfront village offering a relaxing escape from the truth time... S. we 've stayed at ( ta & & ta.queueForLoad walk around actual... Places like Ogunquit, Portsmouth, Rockport, etc you - it Includes driving ideas an. At one of my favorite coastal towns in Maine, sits prominently on Chase Hill, just away. The Best things to do in New England ice cream shack the cutest little New England road [! Might be a stunning route So I found one and bought it I found one and bought.!, Portsmouth, Rockport, etc the Pacific coast Highway, Highway 101, is one of their five restaurants. Some New beach gear train provides service between Boston and Portland, with minimal diverging off course couple the... Their five on-site restaurants before hopping back on the road found one and it.
Average President Salary By Company Size 2020, Articles S